From Will Heger <will.he...@gmail.com>
Subject map timezones
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 06:12:35 GMT
So, let's say that I stamp documents with UTC or epoch values when
recording time values.

Eventually, I will need to do reporting and math on these values using
local time.  Now if there existed a function like...

Date(stamp).localTime("New York")

...that would yield a deterministic result, so it's Kosher for Couch.  The
underlying math would be either UTC-5 or UTC-4 depending on the year and US
law, but the mapped output would be predictable.

That said, I don't think such an animal exists in default JS.  The
getTimezoneOffset() assumes the browser's time which is fraught. Firstly, I
might need "Los Angeles" time and not "New York" time and that can't depend
on where my CouchDB server is installed. Also I need a map that's aware of
EDT vs EST on a historical basis so that a a particular UTC value in 1995
when daylight savings time switchover was at a different hour is captured.

Anyway, I can make sure to convert times inbound which loses other
reporting functionality like timechange sensitive math or I could store
both at the cost of an extra field.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
-Will