From Keith Gable <zi...@ignition-project.com>
Subject Re: Serving Simple HTML page to Public IP from CouchDB
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:49:44 GMT
I'll also chime in: since CouchDB (and most other HTTP servers) expect to
use name-based virtual hosting (i.e. the HTTP Host: header), you will
probably want a hostname. You can figure out your public hostname by going
to, for example, http://www.showmemyip.com/. If you set this as the vhost
name, if you visit it, it'll show what you expect.

Or, if you want something memorable, you can sign up for DynDNS or No-IP,
both of which are free and give you a hostname pointing at your computer.
You just have to run their updater software (I prefer No-IP because I've
used them for a long time).

Note that if you have an internal network with private addresses and are
port forwarding, you'll run into some trouble. whatever.your-isp.net would
resolve to an Internet-routable address, but your TCP/IP socket needs to
talk to your internal address (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 10.x.x.x). If you
have control over the DNS server on your internal network, you could make
your DNS server return the internal IP address for your DynDNS/No-IP
hostname.

However, it's worth noting that you will run into this exact problem using
IP addresses: 184.75.155.16:5984 will not work to access your server
if 184.75.155.16 is a router that is port forwarding port 5984 to
192.168.0.1:5984 (with some exceptions: some routers are advanced and
intelligently reroute your packet to the proper destination).

---
Keith Gable
A+, Network+, and Storage+ Certified Professional
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer