From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to workaround missing id in a request to Update Handler
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:43:23 GMT
Hi Robin,

I re-read the comments on your PR. I hope you didn't read it too
personally as I'm sure that wasn't the intention of those that
commented. The issue is that a roundtrip through Javascript evaluation
is a significant overhead. No matter how you implemented it, it would
almost certainly be too slow for a useful URL rewriting feature. I
don't dispute that the URL rewriter in couchdb could be improved,
though. I think a viable path would be a more powerful microlanguage,
something modelled on mod_rewrite or the nginx module, perhaps? In
summary, I'd love to see a rewriter feature in CouchDB that is
comprehensive while still being fast; you're not the first to reach
its limits.

B.