From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: Serving Simple HTML page to Public IP from CouchDB
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 00:01:38 GMT
I assume that CouchDB is doing NAME-based virtual hosting, which means
it's doing its matching based on the URL in the HTTP header, not the IP
address.

So, instead of
[vhosts]
couch:5984 = /test/_design/test/_rewrite

in your config file, you might want to try:

[vhosts]
184.75.155.16:5984 = /test/_design/test/_rewrite

And see what happens.

Now, if that's an IP address subject to change (say, if you're on a home
router provided by a broadband supplier), you're going to have troubles
every once in a while.

Re. your comment in another message:
> Okay, sorry about this I'm a programmer but I don't know anything about networking. I
just want to be sure there's no way to achieve the functionality I'm talking about without
1) getting a domain name or 2) setting an entry in the /etc/hosts file on the computer I want
to use to access the page. Is that right?

Not to be (too) snarky, but if you're going to be programming stuff that
presents a network interface, you might consider learning something
about networking.

Miles Fidelman

Chris Sphinx wrote:
> Sure, here is a secret gist with the relevant files:
>
> https://gist.github.com/chrissphinx/a9e8411fa6efefa9572c
>
> To state the problem again: I cannot access the webpage by hitting:
>
> http://184.75.155.16:5984
>
> It will simply return the JSON welcome message. However, if I (or anyone else I assume)
were to create an entry in THEIR /etc/hosts file:

> 184.75.155.16		couch
>
> And hit the url:
>
> http://couch:5984
>
> Then it works. That's great, but it's not what I want. I want the public IP to go directly
to the index.html file no matter what computer is hitting it. The only way I've found to get
this to occur is to put in [vhosts]:

> 184.75.155.16:5984
>
> The public IP. This DOES work, but it breaks the entire database. You can't write nor
can you retrieve any docs from the database. This makes sense to me because the database isn't
at the IP anymore, just the webpage.

> A sysadmin friend of mine told me that this is why you need a vhost set up, but now it's
beginning to seem as if I actually want a "reverse proxy" which is functionality that is not
provided by CouchDB? Or is serving a couch app to the public IP possible with only Couch running
on the RPi? Thank you for the help so far, it is really appreciated.

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:53 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Sorry to hear you are stuck on this! I remember being equally
>> mind-boggled a couple years back. It will "click" soon hopefully.
>>
>> BTW It will help a great deal if you can put a minimal case together &
>> post it back to the list (or via a paste service gist friendpaste
>> etc). vhosts, your CNAME, the design doc including the rewriter rules,
>> and the specific error message in the logfile.
>>
>> I have this setup at home but power's off and I don't have the config
>> handy, if I have a free spot today I'll whip an example up. So this is
>> from memory,
>>
>> Ensure you've got:
>>
>> [httpd]
>> bind_address = 0.0.0.0
>>
>> [vhosts]
>> cname:5984 = /dbname/_design/ddoc_name/_rewrite
>>
>> in your local.ini, replacing cname, dbname, ddoc_name as appropriate.
>>
>> In your design document, your rewriter key should be something like this:
>>
>> [
>>     {"from": "/","to": "/index.html"},
>>     {"from": "/*","to": "/*" }
>> ]
>>
>> And obviously there should be an attachment called index.html within the ddoc.
>>
>> Check through http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/pretty_urls.html and
>> see if that helps you out. I'm pretty sure out of this thread we can
>> put a better example up!
>>
>> Note that you could also set http port to 80 both in the vhost and in
>> local.ini under [httpd] section which would be even tidier.
>>
>> A+
>> Dave
>> On 19 March 2013 09:32, Chris Sphinx <chrissphinx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a CouchDB running on a RPi behind a router. I've seen countless tutorials
about "pretty urls", but no matter what I do I just cannot get this to work for my public
IP. All I want to do is be able to serve a boring webpage to anyone that hits

>>> http://my.pub.lic.ip:5984
>>>
>>> But the only way I was able to do this is by putting the public IP under vhosts
in the local.ini file. Doing so breaks the database and I can't access it in any way until
I remove the line from the local.ini file and restart it. Trying to get at any part of the
database results in:

>>> {"error":"not_found","reason":"Document is missing attachment"}
>>>
>>> Sure, I can set up something like 127.0.0.1<tab>couch to hook up to http://couch:5984
on the RPi. I can even load it from another machine, but I have to set my /etc/hosts on whatever
machine I want to use to include my.pub.lic.ip<tab>couch. What if I want to allow anyone
to access the page without having to hack their /etc/hosts file? How am I supposed to set
this up?

>>> I get the feeling that the only way to do this is to run something like ngix
in front of the database with a reverse proxy, but I'm already killing an ant with a sledgehammer
and I feel that there is just something I am overlooking here. Can anybody tell me what I'm
doing wrong? Or walk me through how to get CouchDB to serve up a webpage to a public IP?