From Chris Sphinx <chrissph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Serving Simple HTML page to Public IP from CouchDB
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:40:49 GMT
I simply want to be able to access an html page from the public IP without breaking the Couch.
This is just for my personal convenience, this is not for a public site. But I want to be
able to access the webpage from anywhere (like a mobile device or public computer).

If I understand correctly, I could make this work if I had a registered domain name? That's
fine, but is there any way to accomplish this WITHOUT buying a domain name?

On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> Virtual Hosting is predicated on host names. Vhosting the ip address
> is not recommended, for the reasons you've already encountered.
>
> What are you trying to achieve? It's very odd to direct people to your
> site via IP address. Are you trying to use the virtual host feature as
> a security mechanism?
>
> B.
>
> On 19 March 2013 13:15, Chris Sphinx <chrissphinx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, here is a secret gist with the relevant files:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/chrissphinx/a9e8411fa6efefa9572c
>>
>> To state the problem again: I cannot access the webpage by hitting:
>>
>> http://184.75.155.16:5984
>>
>> It will simply return the JSON welcome message. However, if I (or anyone else I assume)
were to create an entry in THEIR /etc/hosts file:

>> 184.75.155.16           couch
>>
>> And hit the url:
>>
>> http://couch:5984
>>
>> Then it works. That's great, but it's not what I want. I want the public IP to go
directly to the index.html file no matter what computer is hitting it. The only way I've found
to get this to occur is to put in [vhosts]:

>> 184.75.155.16:5984
>>
>> The public IP. This DOES work, but it breaks the entire database. You can't write
nor can you retrieve any docs from the database. This makes sense to me because the database
isn't at the IP anymore, just the webpage.

>> A sysadmin friend of mine told me that this is why you need a vhost set up, but now
it's beginning to seem as if I actually want a "reverse proxy" which is functionality that
is not provided by CouchDB? Or is serving a couch app to the public IP possible with only
Couch running on the RPi? Thank you for the help so far, it is really appreciated.

>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:53 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear you are stuck on this! I remember being equally
>>> mind-boggled a couple years back. It will "click" soon hopefully.
>>>
>>> BTW It will help a great deal if you can put a minimal case together &
>>> post it back to the list (or via a paste service gist friendpaste
>>> etc). vhosts, your CNAME, the design doc including the rewriter rules,
>>> and the specific error message in the logfile.
>>>
>>> I have this setup at home but power's off and I don't have the config
>>> handy, if I have a free spot today I'll whip an example up. So this is
>>> from memory,
>>>
>>> Ensure you've got:
>>>
>>> [httpd]
>>> bind_address = 0.0.0.0
>>>
>>> [vhosts]
>>> cname:5984 = /dbname/_design/ddoc_name/_rewrite
>>>
>>> in your local.ini, replacing cname, dbname, ddoc_name as appropriate.
>>>
>>> In your design document, your rewriter key should be something like this:
>>>
>>> [
>>>   {"from": "/","to": "/index.html"},
>>>   {"from": "/*","to": "/*" }
>>> ]
>>>
>>> And obviously there should be an attachment called index.html within the ddoc.
>>>
>>> Check through http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/pretty_urls.html and
>>> see if that helps you out. I'm pretty sure out of this thread we can
>>> put a better example up!
>>>
>>> Note that you could also set http port to 80 both in the vhost and in
>>> local.ini under [httpd] section which would be even tidier.
>>>
>>> A+
>>> Dave

about "pretty urls", but no matter what I do I just cannot get this to work for my public
IP. All I want to do is be able to serve a boring webpage to anyone that hits

vhosts in the local.ini file. Doing so breaks the database and I can't access it in any way
until I remove the line from the local.ini file and restart it. Trying to get at any part
of the database results in:

http://couch:5984 on the RPi. I can even load it from another machine, but I have to set my
/etc/hosts on whatever machine I want to use to include my.pub.lic.ip<tab>couch. What
if I want to allow anyone to access the page without having to hack their /etc/hosts file?
How am I supposed to set this up?

in front of the database with a reverse proxy, but I'm already killing an ant with a sledgehammer
and I feel that there is just something I am overlooking here. Can anybody tell me what I'm
doing wrong? Or walk me through how to get CouchDB to serve up a webpage to a public IP?