From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Using Json schema in validate function
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:20:30 GMT
On 5 February 2013 09:52, Ian Mayo <ian@planetmayo.com> wrote:
> I'm familiar with the use of a validate function in CouchDb, and have a
> js-crafted one doing a good job right now.
>
> But, I'm interested in moving to a higher-level validation, through use of
> a json-schema:
> http://json-schema.org/
>
> I've only just become aware of the JSV validator, written in Javascript:
> https://github.com/garycourt/JSV
>
> Has anybody managed to use JSV in a CouchDb validate function?  Are there
> any examples online?
>
> Personally, I think there would be great merit in providing 'native' json
> schema validation within CouchDb - it really seems a "grown-up" way of
> maintaining the quality of a document database (accepting that there are
> still many use cases that rely on a completely schema free design).
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

Hi Ian,

TL;DR this should not be difficult to do within a validation function,
*but* you might find performance takes a hit.

I have some old links on this but don't recall anybody posting
anything concrete, and I found a way not to need it.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/201104.mbox/%3CBANLkTimqV0bbZrPY-12eSpL9yRGKWmau9g@mail.gmail.com%3E

This person had a crack but never revealed any secret sauce:

http://daemon.co.za/2012/05/dynamic-forms-json-schema/
http://daemon.co.za/2012/05/replacing-couchdb-views-with-elasticsearch/

Simon might have more details to share:
https://cloudant.com/blog/schemas-in-couchdb/

>From a performance perspective you are likely to find this painful.

https://github.com/k3nn7/json-validator

Would likely work as an erlang validation function, with some work
required. But at least its mochiweb based already.

A+
Dave