From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fixed precision of floating point number not respected in views
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:48:37 GMT
I agree entirely with your last statement (I filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1410 for exactly that
reason).

However, I've been convinced that it cannot be done with
Javascript/JSON's meaning of number, hence the suggestion to protect
your values inside strings (which will not be altered or interpreted)
and use math functions that operate on them (the various bignum.js
libraries, for example). Another way to think of this is by
comparison; if you would be happy, in Java, to exclusively use
doubles, you'd be fine here. An important place where that is not
acceptable is money (and, related, currency). You can't invent
pennies.

I'm +1 on including such a feature in a future release of CouchDB, but
I don't think I got consensus on the idea so far (since it can be done
today without such an extension).

B.