From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Tree like structures in CouchDB
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:00:25 GMT
In theory you mention infinite depth, but is that realistic?

A simple way is to make ID's a composite serial and chain them together.

1 : orig message
1-2 : reply to 1
1-2-5 : reply to 2
1-3 : reply to 1
1-3-4 : reply to

The keys will then sort in order, such that can build the tree DFS and use range queries to
get just segments.

You can obviously do some creative things in compression - using different number bases to
handle deep trees.

On Feb 21, 2013, at 10:10 PM, "Michael Heuberger" <michael.heuberger@binarykitchen.com>
wrote:

> andrey, svilen, many thanks again.
>
> agreed, storing immediate children in a document is a bad idea. i think i go for storing
only an immediate parent id to get an infinite tree depth.