From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Did BigCouch recently change sequence IDs to be arrays?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:09:32 GMT

On Jan 15, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org<mailto:rnewson@apache.org>>
wrote:

Yes, that's true. An update_seq is always valid JSON and should be
treated opaquely, though a change does flush out bugs in client
libraries and such.

But if I treat it opaquely and send it as JSON, the string sequence IDs that Cloudant uses
would end up with quotes around them, i.e.
GET /db/_changes?since=%221-foobarbazzbo%22
instead of what TouchDB sends now,
GET /db/_changes?since=1-foobarbazzbo
Will that still work?

Also, why is it that BigCouch does this (and has for at least 10 months, apparently) and Cloudant,
which runs BigCouch, doesn’t? I’ve been assuming that I can treat Cloudant and BigCouch
compatibility as nearly the same thing, but maybe not.

—Jens