From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Node + Couch
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:17:17 GMT
Hey all, there are many out there who use couchdb + node together. And a
lot are excited about Jason Smith's (and others) work using node as a view
server. I say the more options the better!

I just wanted to let others know of another experiment of mixing node and
with couch. It's called gardener and the repo is here:

https://github.com/garden20/gardener

The premise is based around keeping a node module bundled with a design doc
(or a couchapp).
Why? Maybe your ddoc map/reduces twitter feeds and you want to have node
fetch and store from twitter. Lots of imaginary scenarios.

The gardener is a node process watches a couch, looking for design docs
with a node module attached. Finding one, it will simple npm install it,
spawn a forever process, and pass it the db url to connect to.

Optionally, it can be used to route http requests through couch (via
externals) to the node process.

The idea here is to build reusable backend node processes that work well
with couch, or a mechanism to distribute slightly more powerful couchapps.
And this all works with couch today.

So you know it is fairly young, so warnings apply. But it is in the process
of being used in a real product.

Feedback welcome.

Ryan