From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: replication by view
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:13:06 GMT
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Stephen Bartell <snbartell@gmail.com>wrote:

> Benoit,  I'm curious about a comment you made earlier (from Nathans
> half-baked idea) and have a few questions to spawn from it:
>
> ```
> There is another solution though, replication using a view change and real
> replication using a view like in rcouch [1]. With the validate_doc_read
> function [2]  you can do that. No need for a background process.  Hopefully
> this will be merged in couchdb. This have been tested on a relatively large
> scale
> ```
>
> 1) If I understand the couch docs correctly, using views as replication
> filters yields no performance benefit.  Its just like running plain jane
> filters.  I figure thats why you are mentioning rcouch where the
> replication source is indexed data.  I just want to clarify that I
> understand this.

In rcouch the implementation is different this is a real view changes: each
time a change is indexed in a view an event is sent. All changes are also
indexed in a btree so you can use a since= parameter. It is working like
changes on the document database but on an index.

Since it's a real view you can also query changes in a range
(start_key/end_key ) or for a key.

> 2) For each replicator filter, or view that is run, is a single couchjs
> process spawned to handle evaling the javascript?

No. It is just getting changes from a the index. There is no couchjs
process used except if you also want to filter changes in that view.

> 3) What if we write our views in erlang and then use those as replication
> filters?  Could we get around the extra overhead of couchjs processes this
> way?

Again see above; View changes is not about filtering. Though you can filter
these changes with an erlang function.

> 4) Can filters be erlang, thus getting around extra couchjs process
> overhead?

Yes but it won't be sandboxed.

- benoƮt