From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: serious problems w/ new install
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 03:25:36 GMT
>From https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SpiderMonkey:

"SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 is the most recent standalone source code release.
 It implements JavaScript 1.8.5, and it is largely the same engine
that shipped with Firefox 4. You can download full source code here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz (MD5
checksum: a4574365938222adca0a6bd33329cb32)."

Unfortunately, the Mozilla folks decided to call the *library*
mozjs1.8.5, with 1.8.5 matching the JavaScript version. Notice how it
ends with -1.0.0. Unfortunately, a change that came quickly after that
broke compatibility with CouchDB and we have not yet sorted what to do
about that. For this reason, it's important to install
libmozjs185-1.0.0 or some equivalent package of a different name.
Unstable repositories for debian are shipping new ones which will not
work, although Mozilla has not made any further official releases.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Well yes, but... it's seeming just a bit hard to track down.  There seem to
> be lots of different libraries that start w/ libmozjs (libmozjs2
> libmozjs185, ...) and upstream for later versions seems to be iceweasil.
>
> So a pointer to an appropriate source would be really helpful.
>
> And then I expect that this needs to be a little different:
>

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-js-lib=/usr/lib
> --with-js-include=/usr/**include/mozjs --enable-init
>

> Octavian Damiean wrote:
>>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> If that package doesn't exist you should build it yourself.
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Miles Fidelman
>> <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Well that's kind of bothersome, in several regards:
>>>
>>> 1. the official install instructions are wrong
>>>
>>> the INSTALL.Unix file specifies libmozjs-dev
>>>
>>> as does
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/**couchdb/Installing_on_Debian<http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Debian>
>>> which also calls for libmozjs2d
>>>
>>> neither calls for libmozjs185-dev
>>>
>>> 2. libmozjs185-dev is not available for Debian stable (Squeeze) - just
>>> for
>>> testing and sid
>>>
>>> Seems generally problematic.
>>>
>>> Any workarounds you can suggest?