From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: serious problems w/ new install - SOLVED
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:29:05 GMT
Original problem:  Installed Erlang 15-latest and Couch 1.2.1 from
source, on Debian Stable (Squeeze), but developer tests all failed.

Original diagnosis (help from list): Needed to install a later SeaMonkey
than in the Debian package repo - repo is 1.9, poster to this list
indicated 1.8.5 was needed.  TURNS OUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

After a lot of dependency hell, including building Erlang from source
and working through some dependency issues re. wxwidgets, it turns out
that the problem is with with the INSTRUCTIONS:

- Where CouchDB 1.2.1 is concerned, the instructions in the tarball
(INSTALL.Unix) work perfectly on Debian Squeeze.  (Note: this is with
the less-than-latest, packaged, Erlang release).

but... if one follows the directions on couchdb.apache.org:

1. They're hard to find:
- couch.apache.org -> quicklinks -> wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ ->
wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installation
- that file is out of date - it explicitly calls out rels. 1.0 and 1.1
(only), and, in it's distribution-specific instructions conspicuously
leaves out Debian
- it has a link
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/repo?p=couchdb.git;a=blob;f=INSTALL.Unix;hb=master

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/repo?p=couchdb.git;a=blob;f=INSTALL.Unix;hb=master,>-

which would seem to be the latest version, but which, in turn,
- includes the line: ""For up to date instructions, please see:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Debian"
- note: INSTALL.Unix in git (the above link) differ significantly than
what's in the 1.2.1 tarball - specifically in the list of packages to
install from the Debian repo.

2. I made the mistake of following the "Installing on Debian"
instructions on the web site, which turn out to be rather badly wrong:
- they describe how to install a later, but not the latest, version of
Erlang (R15B01, latest is R15B03-1, Debian stable package is R14A)
- the Erlang instructions say to omit js, jinterface, odbc, wx - which
kind of defeats the purpose of building a full Erlang from source
--- note: I went down a rathole building the latest wxwidgets from
source - it puts one of its header files in a place that the Erlang
build scripts
               don't look - took a while to figure that out, but that's
not relevant here.  And, it turns out that a sufficiently recent version of
               wxwidgets is already in the Debian package repo.
- the instructions give a ./configure line that points the build process
to the wrong place viz-a-viz mozjs
-- I'm pretty sure that last is what messes up the developer tests, and
led the the suggestion of installing SpiderMonkey 1.8.5

- there are way to many OTHER versions of the instructions lying around,
that are badly broken

Randall Leeds wrote:
> >From https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SpiderMonkey:
>
> "SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 is the most recent standalone source code release.
>   It implements JavaScript 1.8.5, and it is largely the same engine
> that shipped with Firefox 4. You can download full source code here:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz (MD5
> checksum: a4574365938222adca0a6bd33329cb32)."
>

> Unfortunately, the Mozilla folks decided to call the *library*
> mozjs1.8.5, with 1.8.5 matching the JavaScript version. Notice how it
> ends with -1.0.0. Unfortunately, a change that came quickly after that
> broke compatibility with CouchDB and we have not yet sorted what to do
> about that. For this reason, it's important to install
> libmozjs185-1.0.0 or some equivalent package of a different name.
> Unstable repositories for debian are shipping new ones which will not
> work, although Mozilla has not made any further official releases.
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>> Well yes, but... it's seeming just a bit hard to track down.  There seem to
>> be lots of different libraries that start w/ libmozjs (libmozjs2
>> libmozjs185, ...) and upstream for later versions seems to be iceweasil.
>>
>> So a pointer to an appropriate source would be really helpful.
>>
>> And then I expect that this needs to be a little different:
>>

>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-js-lib=/usr/lib
>> --with-js-include=/usr/**include/mozjs --enable-init
>>

>> Octavian Damiean wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> If that package doesn't exist you should build it yourself.

Futon to