From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Did BigCouch recently change sequence IDs to be arrays?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:32:56 GMT
I just got a bug report about TouchDB failing to sync with BigCouch. From the symptoms, it
appears that BigCouch has recently changed its sequence IDs (as returned from _changes) from
strings to arrays. Is that true?

I don’t have a local BigCouch to test against currently, but I just confirmed that Cloudant
is still using strings for sequence IDs; they look like this:
> "last_seq":"5865-g1AAAADzeJzLYWBgYMlgTmFQSElKzi9KdUhJMtbLTS3KLElMT9VLzskvTUnMK9HLSy3JAapkSmRIsv___39WEgMD61ZUbeZ4tCU5AMmkepjOw6g6TfDozGMBkgwNQAqoeT9Y913i7YXoPgDRDbF7ShYAyj1QSA”

If BigCouch is now using arrays, then I need to fix my code to serialize them properly in
the “?since” parameter to the _changes feed URL. But this is a bit confusing — if I
JSON-encode the sequence ID, then IDs that are strings will now have double-quotes around
them, and I don’t know if Cloudant will understand that. Do I need to special-case based
on the type, i.e. stripping the quotes if it’s a string?

—Jens