From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: How do I open access to my databases?
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:20:04 GMT
On 14 December 2012 17:19, John Accoun <jsonacc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading about authentication but it appears that is not yet so
> extensively documented. I need some help in here, red the guide section
> about it and the wiki page, but none of them covers permission in enough
> detail for me to be able to follow it.
> For example, this wiki page,
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Security_Features_Overview
> it mentions roles but doesn't explain what they are or where they can be
> defined.
>
> I messed things up  quite a bit while experimenting with permissions. I
> tryied to create an an admin for a database using curl, and I think that
> ended up closing non-autenticated acess to that database.
>
> I was using couchdb as a bucket for serialized objects. Futon is a very
> practical data browser, but I want to start creating a basic couchapp with
> some basic views.
>
> With erica I can't push without specifying user credentials. I can't browse
> futon either unless I sign in with an admin account. I could do this before.
>
> I'm in a controlled environment, security is not an issue. If possible I
> would like to open the permissions as much as possible and worry about
> access control later if the application really needs to be deployed in a
> production environment.
> How do I do this?
>
> Thank you.

I assume you created a server admin, and want to revert that,
returning to "Admin Party" i.e. no authentication or authorisation or
roles.

- stop couchdb
- open local.ini and remove the [admins] section (or rename it to
[_admins] for example)
- rename the _users.couch db (or just delete it completely if you
don't need to keep them)
- restart couchdb

typically these are in:
/usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini
/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/_users.couch

You can check where those are, respectively

$ couchdb -c | grep local
    /usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini

curl -vX GET http://localhost:5984/_config | grep database_dir

A+