From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Running couchdb remotely (from an interactive shell)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:12:48 GMT
On 12 December 2012 15:51, Nestor Urquiza <nestor.urquiza@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> For maintenance purposes you might want to remotely restart couchdb.
> For example you remotely install couchdb and after that you remotely
> harden it (changing configuration files) which demands a restart.

Applying changes via the _config API allows CouchDB to restart only
the impacted subsystems. This is more likely to fit your needs.

> We prefer to maintain the servers remotely rather than login into them
> and manually execute commands. We script the commands for absolutely
> everything, from building the whole server to patching it to changing
> configuration etc.

You can use the _restart API for this without even needing to log on.

> With the same recipe we guarantee not relying on memory or going
> manually through steps. The steps are in scripts.
>
> BTW we use Plain Old Bash (POB) recipes with the help of Remoto-IT, a
> simple and open source script based on expect and to remotely run
> scripts in a server.
>
> The init.d script as I said will die as it is attached to the console
> session if you are running it from ssh. The nohup command can be used
> like screen can be used as well (like mentioned in this thread).
>
> I believe in these days where automation is key, couchdb should
> support be run from a remote ssh interactive session. That is what my
> change (using nohup) allows. I am wondering if it makes sense to
> include the change even if it demands a configure or *.ini option.

Hi Nestor,

TBH I'm puzzled why launching CouchDB interactively  is somehow better
compared to using upstart or whatever your preferred OS uses to
implement daemons.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

If there's something the init scripts are not doing today I'd prefer
that we address that directly, so all distros can benefit from it.
What's missing?

A+
Dave