From Nestor Urquiza <nestor.urqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running couchdb remotely (from an interactive shell)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:23:51 GMT
Hi Dave,

Restarting though APIs would demand an extra overhead on the scripts,
certainly doable but there should be IMO an easier way for a sysadmin
to remotely restart. But even if that works you still have the problem
of hanging or dying instances, it simply can happen. Most of the
services (daemons) would include for a reason an option to restart
from the console. I would like to use that option but remotely.

Typically when you have a remote management and configuration tool you
launch something like:
ssh -t remoteserver sudo /etc/init.d/couchdb start

The above does not work. Try it. As the command disconnects couchdb dies.

That is why I am using nohup as I originally posted. It does work,
perhaps I just need to fill the JIRA ticket but I wanted a blessing
from the list first (in case there is a good alternative). I have
received so far some ideas and I do appreciate them all but I just
feel couchdb restart command should work the same in both cases:
1. Executing it locally in the target host (after login)
2. Executing it remotely in the target host (sending the command via ssh)

Makes sense?

Thanks,
- Nestor