From Nestor Urquiza <nestor.urqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running couchdb remotely (from an interactive shell)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:51:18 GMT
Hi Robert,

For maintenance purposes you might want to remotely restart couchdb.
For example you remotely install couchdb and after that you remotely
harden it (changing configuration files) which demands a restart.

We prefer to maintain the servers remotely rather than login into them
and manually execute commands. We script the commands for absolutely
everything, from building the whole server to patching it to changing
configuration etc.

With the same recipe we guarantee not relying on memory or going
manually through steps. The steps are in scripts.

BTW we use Plain Old Bash (POB) recipes with the help of Remoto-IT, a
simple and open source script based on expect and to remotely run
scripts in a server.

The init.d script as I said will die as it is attached to the console
session if you are running it from ssh. The nohup command can be used
like screen can be used as well (like mentioned in this thread).

I believe in these days where automation is key, couchdb should
support be run from a remote ssh interactive session. That is what my
change (using nohup) allows. I am wondering if it makes sense to
include the change even if it demands a configure or *.ini option.

Right now we are just storing the modified script on svn and patching
the original from POB recipes, it works but I just want to make sure
this is not such a need that makes it reasonable to have it as a
feature request for future releases of couchdb.

Thanks!
- Nestor