From Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-li...@calftrail.com>
Subject "Target database out of sync. Try to increase max_dbs_open at the target's server."
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 06:59:16 GMT
I keep seeing this error in my logs, from a replication between two database servers:

[Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:16:21 GMT] [error] [<0.22441.709>] Error in replication `ec0cd75a82ec8f2089fae72e31b29aac+continuous+create_target`
(triggered by document `replicate-to-staging`): {checkpoint_commit_failure,<<"Target
database out of sync. Try to increase max_dbs_open at the target's server.">>}

Looking at the source code around that message, my understanding is that this will be logged
when the timestamps found in the checkpoint document do not match what should have been written
or…something. (My Erlang-fu has only atrophied since excitedly reading the Armstrong book
several years ago.)

The odd thing is, the target database in this case should have plenty of "max_dbs_open" headroom!
I can't raise it further since the setting is not on the Iris Couch whitelist, but the target
system has only 31 databases total (against the Iris Couch limit of 100). On the source side,
there are 83 databases that could be open, but that's not what it's complaining about.

Replication seems to recover fine, but the dumps are clogging my logs and making it harder
to track some other (real) continuous replication issues I'm trying to resolve. Any suggestions
of what its real complaint is and how to resolve?

thanks,
-natevw