From Volker Mische <volker.mis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Job] : AURIN DATA ENGINEER - University of Melbourne
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:33:32 GMT
Hi Ed, Luca,

this is on-topic. I agree that the email could've mentioned Apache
CouchDB more explicitly. I had email exchange with Luca before, they
even use (or at least evaluate) GeoCouch.

Luca, can you perhaps explain a bit more what the job will look like in
regards to Apache CouchDB.

Cheers,
  Volker

On 12/10/2012 09:52 AM, Ed Young wrote:
> This is not the place to post this.
>
> Admin - please warn this user.
>
> On 10/12/2012, at 19:15, Luca Morandini <lmorandini@ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Position no.: 0030516
>> Employment type: Full-time Fixed Term
>> Campus: Parkville
>> Department of Computing and Information Systems
>> Melbourne School of Engineering
>>
>> Salary: $76,057 - $82,331 p.a.  plus 17% superannuation
>>
>> The Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN) project (www.aurin.org.au)
is an exciting $20m initiative across Australia tasked with delivering a state of the art
research infrastructure supporting nationwide urban and build environment researchers. The
project will develop a core framework (e-Infrastructure) through which a variety of urban
research areas (lenses) will be supported. Examples of the kinds of lenses that will be supported
include supporting researchers interested in health impacts of living in cities, traffic,
housing, energy and water challenges facing cities, and future city models. Many of these
challenges are based on the access to and use of a wide variety of heterogeneous data sets
from a range of data providers across Australia including government departments such as the
Australian Bureau of Statistics, to commercial/utility companies, to research data sets from
universities and a range of other organisations. The data is itself extremely het
rogeneous.

>> The project requires an experienced software (data) engineer who will work as part
of a core AURIN e-Infrastructure team in the Melbourne eResearch Group (MEG) at the University
of Melbourne under the leadership of Prof. Richard Sinnott. The individual will, working closely
with the AURIN technical team and the AURIN data architect, be involved in the design, definition,
implementation and support of the AURIN data and metadata systems. This includes data access,
data processing/indexing, data linkage, metadata management and data storage. Many of these
data sets include geospatial information and the project draws heavily on Open Geospatial
Consortium standards and their implementation.