From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Exist test?
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:00:27 GMT

On Nov 5, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Kevin Burton <rkevinburton@charter.net> wrote:

> So if I create a document that already exists how does the database know that it already
exists to give me a 409 error?

If you PUT a document, and the body of your request has no ‘_rev’ property, it’s an
initial creation of a new document. The request will fail if there is already a document with
that ID in the database. (CouchDB can tell this apart from an update request because you didn’t
include the document’s existing ‘_rev’ in the request.)

If you’re using POST, that by definition always creates a new document (with a randomly-assigned
ID), so it’s meaningless to say whether the document already exists.

> How do I establish a view? Won't I run into the same problem by creating a view that
already exists (via the DesignDocument)?

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

Maybe you should back up and describe what you’re trying to do in more detail.

—Jens