From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Hosting own CouchDB servers, scaling, and failover
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:27:45 GMT
On 14 November 2012 00:29, Joey Samonte <dyowee23@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good day,
>

> Pardon me for my email, but I was hoping to get some guidance if I wanted to host my
own CouchDB servers and how to handle scaling/failover. I'm working for a small company and
it seems that Cloudant subscription would be too expensive in the long run. I created an app
to allow users to save data locally if offline, and replicate when online. Thank you very
much.

> Regards,
> Jose Samonte

Hi Jose,

I've set subsequent replies to user@ as its more appropriate.

You'll need to consider whether the perceived costs matches the actual
effort you need to expend to keep your servers & app up and running
yourselves. In particular 7x24 support, bug fixes, robust SSL,
scaling, multi-site failover etc etc, learning what you need to know
to maintain couchdb.

That said, you'll first want to be able to:

- build erlang + couchdb + spidermonkey from source
    use either https://github.com/iriscouch/build-couchdb
    or refer to wiki http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installation for
your platform

- implement an SSL layer on top with load balancing and front end proxies
    e.g. stunnel haproxy nginx apache2 or a custom node proxy
    there are a couple of discussions on this in the list archives already
   http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/project/couchdb.apache.org

- monitor, manage & maintain all of those in production, 7x24.

If you do go down this path, we'd love to see what you come up with &
hopefully get some more information on wiki about the steps required!

A+
Dave