From Barry Wark <barryw...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB crashes on startup on OS X with a space in the an added .ini path
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 03:54:42 GMT
I'm hoping to run CouchDB as a per-user Launch Agent on OS X. I'm using the
coucdbx-core folder from the CouchDB Server.app as the base of my CouchDB
deployment.

I'd like each user to have their own couch instance (on a different port),
necessitating separate config files for each instance. The logical place to
put these files is in ~/Library/Application Support/ for each user. I can
put the entire distribution in ~/Library/Application
Support/my-app/coucdbx, and put the .ini at ~/Library/Application
Support/my-app/local.ini. Starting couchdb as bin/couchdb -a ../local.ini
(from ~/Library/Application Support/my-app/coucdbx) works great. But I'd
like to save every user the ~50MB couchdbx and install the couchdbx-core in
a shared location (e.g. within my app's .app bundle). When I do this, the
path to the per-user config file contains a space, and I get the following
error when starting CouchDB:

oso:couchdbx-core barry $ bin/couchdb -n -a ~/Library/Application\
Support/us.physion.ovation/default.ini
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{{badmatch,{error,{bad_return,{{couch_app,start,[normal,["/Users/hs/prj/build-couchdb/build/etc/couchdb/default.ini","/Users/hs/prj/build-couchdb/build/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},{'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,{error,enoent}}},[{couch_server_sup,start_server,1,[{file,"/Users/hs/prj/build-couchdb/dependencies/couchdb/src/couchdb/couch_server_sup.erl"},{line,56}]},{application_master,start_it_old,4,[{file,"application_master.erl"},{line,274}]}]}}}}}},[{couch,start,0,[{file,"/Users/hs/prj/build-couchdb/dependencies/couchdb/src/couchdb/couch.erl"},{line,18}]},{init,start_it,1,[]},{init,start_em,1,[]}]}}

Is there any way to provide a config file at the command line, if that
config file's path includes space(s)? Despite my best efforts in the
mailing list archives, wiki and google, I haven't been able to find a
solution or a definitive "it can't work". Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry