From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:42:34 GMT
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Alexander Gabriel <alex@barbalex.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have developed two couchapps so far. Amazing technology! And easy enough
> for a hobby programmer like me to learn (in my "real" life I'm a biologist).
>
> Beyond being a noob I'm also  a windows user - and expecially: a unix- and
> shell-NOBODY. My experiences with shells have been rather painful so far,
> for instance with git or with curl. Seems like windows is a bad environment
> for curl - or shells in general? There were so many problems with using '
> or " or \" that I got lost, especially as it seemed that no code example
> seemed to run in my shell without radically changing all ' or " or \".

The code of erica take them as well :)

> There also seem to be a lot of "magic tricks" that Unix users seem to be
> born with and usually are not explained in the documentation for shells.
> For instance I believe you often have to be in the exact right folder or a
> command to work.

You just need to be in the app folder to push.

> So I was extremely happy that there was a standalone executable for windows
> here: http://www.couchapp.org/page/installing
>
> Will I have to learn dealing with a shell now?
>
> Or will there be an executable for windows for erica?

There will be an easy way to install erica asap. Sometimes next week.

> And is there advice on how to change an existing project from couchapp to
> erica? Or is this not a good idea?

The the things that need to be change are .couchappignore ->
.ericaignore and you have to reinit the project (erica init). If
you're not using the vendors it should be good.

> Looking forward to an even better tooling but I do hope the learning curve
> is not too steep...

It shouldn't be. Let me know if you have any problem.

- benoƮt