From Alexander Gabriel <a...@barbalex.ch>
Subject Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:55:17 GMT
Hi

I have developed two couchapps so far. Amazing technology! And easy enough
for a hobby programmer like me to learn (in my "real" life I'm a biologist).

Beyond being a noob I'm also  a windows user - and expecially: a unix- and
shell-NOBODY. My experiences with shells have been rather painful so far,
for instance with git or with curl. Seems like windows is a bad environment
for curl - or shells in general? There were so many problems with using '
or " or \" that I got lost, especially as it seemed that no code example
seemed to run in my shell without radically changing all ' or " or \".

There also seem to be a lot of "magic tricks" that Unix users seem to be
born with and usually are not explained in the documentation for shells.
For instance I believe you often have to be in the exact right folder or a
command to work.

So I was extremely happy that there was a standalone executable for windows
here: http://www.couchapp.org/page/installing

Will I have to learn dealing with a shell now?

Or will there be an executable for windows for erica?

And is there advice on how to change an existing project from couchapp to
erica? Or is this not a good idea?

Looking forward to an even better tooling but I do hope the learning curve
is not too steep...

Alex

Alexander Gabriel
Wiesenstrasse 22