From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Storing text/plain attachments and digest
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 00:05:41 GMT

On Nov 1, 2012, at 1:49 PM, "Mclean, Adam" <adam.mclean@rbc.com> wrote:

> The digest produced by the file upload is key to this working for me so
> I'm not replacing files that are already the same in couch.  I've been

IMHO you should not try to interpret the contents of the attachment ‘digest’ property.
It’s mostly meant as an optimization for the replicator, not as a user feature. Don’t
assume that it consists of the string “md5-“ followed by a hex MD5 digest of the actual
attachment contents. As you’ve seen, this isn’t true for compressed attachments. It’s
even more untrue for attachments on TouchDB, which uses a SHA1 digest instead.

If you need to track the identities of attachments using a digest, it would be safer to add
your own digest property to the document, so that you have control over how it’s generated.

—Jens