From "Kevin Burton" <rkevinbur...@charter.net>
Subject RE: Get all documents of a certain type.
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 22:36:27 GMT
I am trying to learn Couch so what doesn't make sense of the "or"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Sallings [mailto:dustin@spy.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:11 PM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Get all documents of a certain type.

"Kevin Burton" <rkevinburton@charter.net>
writes:

> In my Couch database I have a mixture of documents. The documents that
> I am interested in have an Id of 'product-xxxxxxx' or 'order-xxxxxx'.
> The "product" documents have a property of SKU that is a string. I
> would like to form a query to get a list of all the product SKUs. Does
> this require a view in the design document or can it be done all in one
request? Thank you.

  Your "or" doesn't make sense there.  You can do it with or without a view
and in either case you can do it in one request.

  It looks like you can probably just use alldocs with a start and end key
specified limiting to the doc IDs that start with "product-".

  You could also build a view that maps sku -> [something] for all documents
of type product and then traverse that.  The value could be null, or
something you might want to know when looking at a sku.

  Or if you have different ways of looking at products, you could use that
as the key and the sku as the value and chop it up more neatly from there.

--
dustin