From Sam Stainsby <...@sustainablesoftware.com.au>
Subject Re: literal '+' in URL when creaitng a database
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:26:16 GMT
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:23:09 +0100, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Sam Stainsby

>> I understand that '+' has special significance in the query part of a
>> URL, but not the path part, so I think the above should work.

> '+' would mean space on the file system if I recall correctly. Which
> could be problematic on some platforms.

Hi Benoit,

How couch encodes that as a file name in an OS would be internal to
couch, so if couch is using query string encoding for the file name, that
may be a good choice for OS portability. However, my understanding is
that '+' representing a space in a URL is only valid for the *query* part
of a URL.

"Within the query string, the plus sign is reserved as shorthand notation
for a space. Therefore, real plus signs must be encoded. This method was
used to make query URIs easier to pass in systems which did not allow
spaces." (http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_URI_Recommentations.html)

"For HTTP URLs, a space in a path fragment part has to be encoded to
"%20" (not, absolutely not "+"), while the "+" character in the path
fragment part can be left unencoded."
http://www.lunatech-research.com/archives/2009/02/03/what-every-web-
developer-must-know-about-url-encoding

Cheers,