From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB bleeding CPU
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:04:45 GMT
On 10 October 2012 13:50, Pekka Olavi <pekka.korolainen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks, I run a couch on my desktop for testing purposes.
> Everything else is fine and dandy and I'm actually loving developing
> for the web with couch. There is one gripe though, the beam.smp
> process is bleeding the CPU, for some reason I have no proficiency to
> analyse.
>
> http://pastebin.com/eqtUyNZS
>
> I start the server with "sudo couchdb" and it shows up in my ps aux like so:
> /usr/lib/erlang/erts-5.8.3/bin/beam.smp -Bd -K true -A 4 -- -root
> /usr/lib/erlang -progname erl -- -home /home/halides -- -noshell
> -noinput -os_mon start_memsup false start_cpu_sup false
> disk_space_check_interval 1 disk_almost_full_threshold 1 -sasl
> errlog_type error -couch_ini /usr/local/etc/couchdb/default.ini
> /usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini -s couch
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> .p

Hi Pekka,

What is couchdb doing at the time? e.g. are you view indexing,
whatever. Anything in the couch.log when running in debug mode?

None of this will fix the problem, but it might be helpful to note
what OS you're running as well, and how erlang was compiledm (or
rpmd).

Some of the flags you are using seem wrong if you are intending to
enable kernel polling and increase the IO scheduler threads.

-A 4 should be +A 4
-K true should be +K true
ditto for your +Bd option

You might be interested in some of the tricks in here
http://erlang-in-production.herokuapp.com/#16 from archaelus, and let
us know what processes are hogging.

After that, I think your best bet will be to hop on irc in #erlang or
#erlounge and get some other smart ideas.

A+
Dave