From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Simple load-balancing replication best practices
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 16:48:35 GMT
On 4 October 2012 17:04, Steve Koppelman <steve.koppelman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming a hubless (i.e. not master-slave) set of 4 couchdb 1.2.0
> servers behind a load balancer, is there a recommended best-practice
> for setting up the replication relationships? I'm most interested in:
>
> * Assuming the _replicator document is on one of the two nodes in a
> relationship, is there a preference for push vs. pull replication
> relationships? I seem to recall pull as being regarded as more
> reliable than push through 1.1.1.

Hope somebody else comments on this, I'm interested to know if this
still makes a difference.

> * The new docs highlight replication of the _replicator database as a
> way to establish many-to-many replication. This raises two questions.
>
>   1. Is there harm in this sort of cluster to have all members to pull
> from one another, i.e., all of
> A->B
> A->C
> B->A
> B->C
> C ->A

Multimaster Meshed Magic :-)

>   2. Is there harm in full replication of _replicator if it results in
> documents that point a node to itself?  That is, if I have a document
> that specifies a source of "localhost" and a destination as "node B",
> if this is replicated to node B this particular instance of the
> _replicator doc would set up an instance to replicate to itself, which
> doesn't sound good. Is it important to do filtered replication of
> _replicator when taking this approach?

Should be fine.

> Rgds, etc.
>
> -sk

You might want to look at BigCouch which handles a lot of this sort of
stuff for you, as well as sharded views. But the feature set isn't
quite parity yet.

A+
Dave