From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB support HTTP pipelining?
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 20:15:17 GMT
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Technically it'd be possible to
>> notice latency differences for cheap requests, but I bet the rev
>> lookup requests are too dominated by the actual disk lookups for that
>> to be noticeable.
>
> Well, I’ve found that getting docs in bulk (POSTing doc IDs to _all_docs?include_docs=true)
is _much_ faster than making individual GET requests, so I don’t think the disk lookup is
the limiting factor. But unfortunately I can’t do that for all the documents because _all_docs
doesn’t allow me to get the revision histories (it ignores ?revisions=true).

> —Jens

That's an intriguing datapoint because _all_docs?include_docs=true is
the same algorithmic complexity as issuing a larger number of GET
requests. That would suggest that something in the HTTP layer is
adding significant overhead to individual requests which is definitely
possible and something I've been meaning to investigate whenever I can
find the time.