From Keith Gable <zi...@ignition-project.com>
Subject Re: kanso hosting?
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:06:47 GMT
Password-based authentication is the default. You login with your user's
credentials, which if you used Ubuntu Server, you created in setup. AMIs
generally use keypairs, but if you're installing locally, I wouldn't
suggest using an AMI.

Your VM should probably also be set up to use a bridged network, and you'll
have to accept the server's certificate on the first connection.

You'll never be able to set up a keypair if you can't get in some other
way. Normally, you would just drop your local ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub's contents
into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the server to do key-based authentication.
Some ancient and/or misconfigured systems require more steps. Don't use
those.

---
Keith Gable
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Storage+ Certified Professional
Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Mark Hahn <mark@hahnca.com> wrote:

> >  Try password-based authentication first.
>
> Can SSH use passwords?  I googled until my head fell off and I couldn't
> find out how to do that.  There were 10,000 articles about setting up key
> pairs which I already knew.  Oh well, I guess I am doomed to use AWS and
> vagrant for servers.  I can live without knowing how to set up a ubuntu
> server from scratch.  I'll lie on my resume.
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Keith Gable <ziggy@ignition-project.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Try password-based authentication first. Once that's working, then work
> on
> > key-based authentication. If you're using PuTTY, you have to run Pageant
> > and also convert the key to PuTTY format.
> >

> > ---
> > Keith Gable
> > A+ Certified Professional
> > Network+ Certified Professional
> > Storage+ Certified Professional
> > Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Mark Hahn <mark@hahnca.com> wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW, I ended up using vantage and it worked great.  When i didn't make
> > > stupid mistakes, it only took a few minutes to get a good headless dev
> > > environment going in virtualbox on windows 7.

> > over

> > several

> headless
> > > in