From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Joint - private sharing with CouchDB
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 00:05:06 GMT
Fabulous work, Joe! I found this in the App Store a couple days ago and
am setting it up tonight--I came to list to see if someone had pointed
this thing out yet. :D

Really glad you chose CouchDB and are using it in this way. You might
also be interested in checking out http://unhosted.org/

Very similar ideas/plans. They're also huge CouchDB fans! :)

Keep up the greatness, Joe,
Benjamin

On 9/24/2012 11:41 AM, 36codes wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm getting close to releasing a new app for iOS that leans heavily on CouchDB, and thought
it might be of interest to some folks here.

> Joint is the name of the app. It lets you use any CouchDB server as a private message
board.

> Other private sharing services maintain the data for all users, as well as data about
which user accounts belong to which sharing groups. Joint is different. There is no central
"service" or database on which all user data is defined. Joint is just the app, not a centralized
service. It is a tool which facilitates private sharing with CouchDB.

> Briefly, the way it works is that you host a "joint" (which is simply a CouchDB database)
on a server of your choice. Then you invite people to come "hang out" at your joint. On the
technical side, each person gets their own _user on your server with their own authentication
credentials which give them a role to access the joint. You can host multiple joints (one
for Friends, Family, etc) and join other people's joints, and all the joints are managed in
the app.

> Currently Joint has in-app signup with Iris Couch to make it easier for those unfamiliar
with CouchDB to get started. However, I would be glad to integrate signup for other CouchDB
hosting services as well.

> If you'd like to try it out, you can register to beta-test it at the following link.
User feedback is integrated into the app, so feel free to post your ideas and support issues
there.