From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB support HTTP pipelining?
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 22:51:46 GMT

On Oct 30, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com<mailto:jens@couchbase.com>>
wrote:

Interesting. I could try to write a test case in Ruby or Python — something that would first
fetch a large number of docs as individual GETs, then fetch the same docs in a single _all_docs.

I have a quick Ruby script now that first calls _all_docs to get all the doc IDs in a specific
database, then gets all the docs one at a time with individual GETs, then gets them all in
bulk by posting their IDs to _all_docs?include_docs=true.

The difference in performance is pretty huge, with the bulk mode being about 30x faster, both
for a database on localhost and for a remote one (I used my Cloudant instance.)

However, this isn’t a fair test because it’s only sending one GET at a time, so the latency
is killing performance. I’ll fix up the script to run four threads in parallel and see how
much that helps.

—Jens