From "Brizic Michael (Nokia-LC/Chicago)" <michael.bri...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: Fedora 17 yum install fails to add couchdb user
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:45:37 GMT
Shane,

Thanks for the response, this helps greatly!!

Regards,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Shane McEwan [mailto:shane@actual-experience.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:46 AM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fedora 17 yum install fails to add couchdb user

On 09/10/12 21:45, Noah Slater wrote:
> "No more available UIDs" sounds... worrying. There is nothing special
> about the "couchdb" user, but it looks like you might have bigger
> problems. Are you able to create any other users? Are you trying as root?
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Brizic Michael (Nokia-LC/Chicago) <
> michael.brizic@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> Following these instructions
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Fedora17
>> I received an error when trying to add the couchdb user.  The output was :
>>
>> useradd: Can't get unique system UID (no more available UIDs)
>> useradd: can't create user
>> warning: user couchdb does not exist - using root

The problem is that you've run out of system UIDs. By default system UIDs are allocated between
the range of 100 and 999. If you already have users using all the UIDs between 100 and 999
then the adduser or useradd command will fail.

You have a few options:

1. Delete an existing user that has a UID between 100 and 999 and then reinstall CouchDB;
or 2. Edit /etc/login.defs and change the SYS_UID_MAX setting to a larger number where you
have free UIDs and reinstall CouchDB; or 3. Create the couchdb user manually as a normal account:
        sudo adduser --quiet --home /var/lib/couchdb --no-create-home \
           --shell /bin/bash --group --gecos "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb

Hope this helps!

Shane.

or paper files.