From Eduardo Scoz <eduardos...@gmail.com>
Subject App layer on top of replication
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:41:43 GMT
Hi guys,

Is there any way to put an app server between two CouchDB instances to
manage security during replication?

I'm working on a mobile app using TouchDB (iOS and Android), and I'm
replicating the data back to the server using the normal CouchDB
replication. In my use case, user creates new documents locally on the
device, and syncs the DB with the host to push changes and get new
documents. Filtered replication works well for getting only important docs
and validate_doc_update is enough to prevent unauthorized writes, but that
still leaves the database open for anybody with an ID to read other user's
docs.

My idea is to put CouchDB behind something like Nginx or NodeJS that would
intercept direct calls to the database, but still let replication work (as
described above). all_docs replication would also have to be disabled, I
guess.

has anyone done anything like this? Any pointers on how one would make it?

Thanks!

Eduardo