From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Allowing access only to authenticated users
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 16:50:40 GMT
On 9 September 2012 13:13, Wordit <wordituk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>>
>> What you likely want is this, and then to control signups as needed?
>>
>> [couch_httpd_auth]
>> require_valid_user = true
>
> Isn't [couch_httpd_auth] a couch-wide setting? It needs to be per
> database. Otherwise, there's no public access at all, which would
> greatly diminish the usefulness/uniqueness of using couchdb.

Yes.

> Would it go against CouchDB design philosophy to have a _user role
> pre-defined, and tied to the _users database? If not, I think it would
> make sense and be useful to many developers. Where is the place to
> suggest and discuss this as a feature?

Here's good, but you can also move it to dev@ if you like.

My question is - what does this role actually do for you? All
authenticated users will have a UsrCtx available in ddocs, so the mere
fact it exists implies they're in users. Where else might you want a
specific, separate role? Am I missing something?

A+
Dave