From Keith Gable <zi...@ignition-project.com>
Subject Re: Problems installing CouchDB 1.2.0 in Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS Server (lucid)
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 05:48:32 GMT
I just installed CouchDB 1.2 in precise using build-couchdb (with
GeoCouch). Here's my command line:

sudo mkdir /opt/couchdb
sudo chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu /opt/couchdb
rake \
        plugins="git://github.com/couchbase/geocouch.gitorigin/couchdb1.2.x" \
        install=/opt/couchdb

Later, I add a couchdb user and chown -R couchdb:couchdb /opt/couchdb.

And I addded this line to the top of /opt/couchdb/bin/couchdb (under the
comment block):

export ERL_FLAGS="$ERL_FLAGS -pa
/opt/couchdb/lib/couchdb/plugins/geocouch.git/ebin"

And I symlinked the /opt/couchdb/etc stuff into /etc where it's supposed to
go. I had to modify the init script to provide a shell in the su command
like so:

        if su $COUCHDB_USER -s /bin/sh -c "$command"; then

The reason was that I don't give CouchDB a shell, so we have to give it one
in the command line or else -c doesn't work. Probably a better way to do
this. Let me know if I messed up.

Annnd... everything works great. I suggest using build-couchdb since it
does everything you need. (And if any IrisCouch people are listening -
supporting CouchDB Lucene on your service is worth paying monthly for your
service... the only reason I'm messing with this is because IrisCouch does
everything BUT CouchDB Lucene.)

---
Keith Gable
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Storage+ Certified Professional
Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer