From Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-li...@calftrail.com>
Subject Re: A new Garden
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:47:41 GMT
Neat idea. I've been working (off and on) on a number of Couchapps that might be a great fit.
They're simple "Python couchapp" bundles rather than Kanso, especially since many of them
were started a while ago:

- photo library: https://github.com/natevw/ShutterStem
- location logging: https://github.com/natevw/LocLog (not much web interface besides a summary
viewer, and used by ShutterStem's geotagging)
- simple Markdown notebook: https://github.com/natevw/twas
- simple "vectors-on-map" notebook: https://github.com/natevw/Metakaolin

All of these are designed to run in a shared database setting (e.g. I could theoretically
store all my photos and geodata and text notes in a single database) and so might be a great
fit for Garden20 [why twenty?] assuming your app approval process is sympathetic to beta (and
in some cases, pre-alpha) software ;-)

Glad you're keeping the CouchApp dream alive. I've got a dream to someday figure out a sort
of couchOS server platform where, say, gently sandboxed node.js apps can track a whole family/small
office's data in CouchDB, with a bit of OAuth, BrowserID and Web Intents thrown in for good
measure. Apps like ShutterStem and some media center stuff lower down on my list could benefit
from being able to run OS-level processes outside of _view/_show/_list — but I think simply
having Garden to make the basic CouchApp stuff more approachable to more people is a great
step forward.

Would be happy to keep chatting more about CouchApp architectures (and markets!) on or off-list
as might be appropriate.

thanks,
-natevw