From Rudi Benkovic <ru...@whiletrue.com>
Subject Re: recovering data from an unfinished compaction db
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:32:43 GMT
Hello Robert,

> Yup, CouchDB starts from the end of the file and looks backwards until
> it finds a valid footer, it can take some time if that's a long way
> from the end. It's not so much that CouchDB is skipping over "random
> binary data", it just doesn't have any pointers to that area of the
> file.

> How long as couchdb been seeking backward for a footer? When you say
> "doesn't recognize it", are you getting an error message?

OK, I left CouchDB 1.2.0 (Windows) running for a good hour on the
incomplete compaction DB. In the process it consumed all available OS
memory (12GB), then crashes with an exception. Excerpt from the log
file (debug priority) attached.

--
Best regards,
 Rudi                            mailto:rudib@whiletrue.com