From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: function_clause error in HTTP request
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:22:41 GMT
Ah! that's great. Yes, the very peculiar "follows":true api assumes the ordering (which is
fine for the erlang replicator because it's to/from json does not reorder objects).

So, that closes the last gap of comprehension. The request *is* malformed but in a way that's
hard to justify.

Having read much of the attachment streaming code and the multipart parsing code, and the
manner that they connect, the fix isn't going to be easy but it feels necessary.

Each MP part can have http headers, including Content-Length, which points to a way forward.

B.

On 8 Aug 2012, at 18:07, Jens Alfke wrote:

> I've figured this out, thanks to Robert Newson looking at a TCP dump Pieter van der Eems
sent him. It turns out to be an issue with CouchDB that I already knew about but had forgotten
would bite in this particular circumstance. Specifically, CouchDB isn't associating the MIME
bodies with the attachments correctly; it gets them mixed up. As a result it gets confused
about the lengths and blows up.

> The issue is with CouchDB's multipart support, specifically the way in which it matches
MIME bodies to attachment names. The IMHO correct way to do this would be to look at the filename
in the Content-Disposition header, and this is in fact what TouchDB generates:
> But CouchDB ignores this header. Instead it assumes that the order in which the MIME
bodies appear matches the order in which the attachment objects appear in the _attachments
object.

> The problem with this is that JSON objects (dictionaries) are _not_ ordered collections.
I know that Erlang's implementation of them (as linked lists of key/value pairs) happens to
be ordered, and I think some JavaScript implementations have the side effect of preserving
order; but in many languages these are implemented as hash tables and genuinely unordered.

> So when TouchDB serializes the NSDictionary object representing the attachments, it has
_no idea_ in what order the JSON encoder will write the keys. This means it can't comply with
CouchDB's ordering requirement because it doesn't know what order in which to write out the
attachments. I believe I am going to have to work around this by using a custom JSON encoder
that I can make write out dictionary entries in a known (sorted?) order.

> I've filed this as COUCHDB-1521. As I said, I can work around it, but I really think
this should be fixed as it's a hurdle for interoperability.

> (Ironically I ran into the flip side of this issue last year and filed a bug on it (COUCHDB-1368):
when _receiving_ a multipart body from CouchDB, it's difficult to match attachments with their
MIME bodies because CouchDB doesn't put any headers into the MIME bodies to indicate filenames;
the only clue is the ordering of the entries in the _attachments dictionary, and that ordering
is lost when Cocoa's JSON parser converts it into an NSDictionary object.)