From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Map Reduce Implementation
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:10:17 GMT

On Aug 3, 2012, at 1:54 AM, Jan Fajerski <fajerski@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> What Javascript engine is used,

SpiderMonkey.

> how is workload distributed (if at all)

I don't believe it is. Erlang itself is good at multiprocessing, but it runs SpiderMonkey
in a separate process. I don't know whether it spawns more than one of these processes. In
any case there is none of the fully-distributed mapping the way Google does it where map requests
get farmed out to multiple computers. CouchDB doesn't use M/R as a way to process ridiculously
large data sets, it uses it as a way to flexibly query semi-structured data.

[Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on the implementation of CouchDB.]

> May the dev list be a better place to ask such questions?

Most likely, yes.

—Jens