From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: html5 to couchdb without couchapp
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:47:07 GMT
Interfacing with CouchDB is nothing special form a client. CouchDB is
literally a web server (embeds MochiWeb) that does REST style requests with
JSON. It has a few special APIs (_replicate, _changes, _design, _bulk_docs)
and the concept of a design document that are special to it.

You can easily interact with CouchDB using jquery AJAX api (my preferred
way for browser side generally) or even XHR. There really isn't anything
special on that front. If you are hiding it behind or interfacing with a
bit of node.js (which can aid in auth/auth control) then nano [1] is quite
nice to work with. But basically you just need an HTTP library.

As for the not wanting your app as a couchapp, I'm going to assuming you
just don't want to upload the attachments of static files over and over.
For local development it certainly means an extra step but for deploy to an
environment it really isn't that different. CouchDB can easily handle
serving them, but if you prefer something like node.js or nginx serving
them I can understand.

If you want any data transformation or views then you'll have to work with
a design document [2] and you'll most likely want to get familiar with one
of couchapp tools [3] which aids in building the document and posting it to
CouchDB.

[1]  https://github.com/dscape/nano
[2]  http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/design.html
[3]  http://couchapp.org/page/index

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ - Ludwig von
Wittgenstein

"Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is
rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding
will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is
soft is strong." - Lao-Tzu