From Pete Vander Giessen <pet...@gmail.com>
Subject How do non-admin users get roles in a couchapp?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:47:06 GMT
Hi All,

I've got a couch 1.2 question:

With the updated _user db security, non-admin users cannot update
their own roles. Which makes lots of sense, from a security
perspective :-)

My question is, what is the most "couchy" ("relaxing?") way to handle
a situation where a user signs up for an account in some couchapp, and
wants to get access to a database that is part of that couchapp?
(We're assuming that we, as the admin, also want the user to have
access.)

Is the "right" answer to code some external process, running with
admin permissions, that can handle the users' request for access to
the db? Or is there something fancy that can be done with
validate_doc_updates on the _user database, or similar, so that we can
code up the entire application as a couchapp?

Again, this is specifically for couch 1.2 -- I know that old versions
of couch were a bit more liberal with who got to write to the users db

Thank you for you time,

~PeteVG

"The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine."
~ Abraham Lincoln