From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: userCtx extra information
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:09:39 GMT
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Wendall Cada <wendallc@83864.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> This is a very well thought out response. I believe is correct. In the
> current state, _users is unusable for anything other than 1. I don't even
> bother with that since I have to create an app layer to actually manage
> permissions, so I just don't expose it externally and run admin party and
> use ssh tunneling for sync (mostly because this was setup long before
> 1.2.0).
>
> Really the situation with admin or user as the only roles is bad. I have
> multiple roles. Where admin users are at the top of the food chain, but
> there are users with special permissions who can create regular users, or
> modify specific parts of the documents. An example of this is a comments
> thread moderator. They need permissions to edit portions of a doc that
> doesn't belong to them. Is it proposed that I just make everyone an admin?
> How can this work for couchapps. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't
> see that this can work at all.
>
> _users just doesn't make sense unless all of the app capabilities get ripped
> out and CouchDB just becomes a database and nothing more. Otherwise, some
> hybrid as Jim mentions needs to happen. There is no reason to think that
> every last bit of the _user doc needs to be cached or in the session. This
> should be able to be retrieved however and stored where it makes sense, with
> the users account data.

Like I said there are some features actually missing in couch that
would ease that. (partial updates and partial fetch). Of course a view
could be use to see only profile but that would be a hack.

And this is not only about being a db or something alternative. This
is more about security here. Even in the old world data for
authentication and profiles are generally separated. For a good
reason. This isn't generally the same person that have access to them.
 And personnaly I would see a profile linked to a user but not in the
same doc.

Also I'm pretty sure that the reason people are asking about
populating this userCtx is because they lack the possibility to query
internally the db. This can be changed.

- benoît

> [...]
>> Users / Replication / Document DB are all essentially stored/treated in the
>> same manner (or at least shares a common API) that is more or less
>> schema-less (config is a tad different in that it persists to an INI file).
>> The _users db should continue to follow the same schema-less design it has
>> been; documents to be used for authentication should need to follow nothing
>> more than a duck typed convention any extra data should just be treated as
>> noise to parts of the core app that don't need it. If you want to store
>> additional info in user document, go for it - authentication should just
>> ignore it - its not hurting anyone, really.
>>
>> Those arguing about making the _users db holy by hiding it completely and
>> limiting what you can store in the object breaks the fantastic orthogonality
>> that CouchDB enjoys today.
>>
>> My vote? Continue keeping CouchDB orthogonal, in fact make it even more
>> so! IMHO - I think being able to store additional data that can be retrieved
>> via userCtx would be good; however I think there should be a flag that is
>> used when querying to include the extra data,(like include_docs=true, but
>> maybe full_userCtx=true)?.  As an app developer - you shouldn't need access
>> to all of the users additional attributes for every request.  That is
>> potentially a lot of extra data (equates to memory use/etc) that would go
>> unused on probably 90% of the requests made.  The middle tier / traditional
>> db guys & gals are happy - they can still do their own thing through god and
>> demi-god apps and manage access via their middle-tier (god help them!); and
>> the CouchApp guys & gals can go on with their own thing and leverage built
>> in _users functionality within CouchDB and get them access to the additional
>> userCtx as needed in their list/show/etc functions (heck they are already
>> double-dipping on the appserver / db combo).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *Jim Klo*
>>
>> Senior Software Engineer
>> Center for Software Engineering
>> SRI International
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> t.@nsomnac
>> *
>> *
>>
>> *
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Gabriel Mancini wrote:
>>
>>> I think this can be flexible to offer some aditional information as
>>> optional feature in userCtx.
>>> and with possibility to create a design document with validation login
>>> and
>>> use this info to auth/reject the user.
>>> this way we can trigger an 403 http error. this is more "REST" approach i

Or

But
HAVE

Barysiuk wrote:

> [...]