From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Changing the system clock underneath a multi-master setup
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:28:21 GMT
On 22 August 2012 20:13, Michael Parker <michael.g.parker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two servers running CouchDB in a multi-master setup, where each
> is performing a continuous pull replication on the other. I stupidly
> assumed that both servers had their system time set appropriately with
> ntpd, but I was wrong, and they're both off by a minute or two. Will
> running ntpd on each server affect CouchDB or the replication at all?
> Should I play it safe and stop replication, down CouchDB, change the
> clock, and then up CouchDB and start replication again?

I think you can change the clock quite safely. The erlang runtime will
likely emit
some warnings, but with a delta < 5 minutes this should not cause it
to restart[1].

With this short a time difference, I'd not get ntpd to forcefully
update, but let it
drift onto the corrected time. This will no doubt be platform dependent.

A+
Dave

[1]:http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/heart.html