From Tim Tisdall <tisd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: max_document_size limits on hosted services?
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:42:00 GMT
I'm not familiar with TouchDB, but I get dropped connections when
using _bulk_docs when couch runs out of memory or crashes.  I've had
to reduce the number of docs to accommodate this problem, but adding
more RAM may also help.  The problem is related to the way linux over
allocates RAM and the oom-killer just killing programs when the system
runs out of memory.

-Tim

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
> I've had a few reports from TouchDB users of problems replicating large documents up
to hosted services (IrisCouch or Cloudant). The symptom is that TouchDB uploads ~200k of JSON
via _bulk_docs and then either gets a 503 error or just a dropped connection. I'm wondering
whether this is a symptom of hitting a server-side limit on the maximum size of a document
body.

> Looking through the CouchDB config I see a couchdb.max_document_size setting, but it
defaults to 4GB, which should be more than sufficient :) It's also set to 4GB on my basic
IrisCouch account. Is there some other limit on document size, or known bugs that would cause
a server error with very large JSON documents?