From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: random couch crash
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:11:12 GMT

did compaction complete, though? I wasn't thinking of reducing the file size, but of being
able to successfully read all live data and write it back out again.

B.

On 7 Aug 2012, at 21:01, stephen bartell wrote:

> I'll consider delayed_commits.
>
> The database was 85MB before compaction. We ran compact and it was still 85Mb.  So compact
didn't work.  The same db on other servers will compact ~10x its original size.

>> I strongly suggest disabling delayed_commits on general principles (what's written
should stay written). Are you able to compact the database(s) that give this error?

>> B.
>>
>> On 7 Aug 2012, at 18:42, stephen bartell wrote:
>>
>>> delayed_commits = true
>>>
>>> Stephen Bartell

travels a lot and is cycled a lot.  There is one physical server, it consists of nginx (serving
web apps and reverse proxying for couch), couchdb for persistence, and numerous programs which
read and write to couch.  Traffic on couch can get very heavy.

to a halt, nginx would return 404, and then eventually couch would restart.  This would happen
every couple of minutes.

compacted or replicated from elsewhere?

taxi cabs, airlines, and pulling the power cord several times a day.  We haven't seen this
on any of our production servers.

was triggering the crash.  One by one, we backed up, deleted, and rebuilt the databases that
program touched.  There was one database which seemed to be the culprit, lets call it History.
 History is a dumping ground for stale docs from another db. History is almost always written
to, and rarely read from.   We don't compact History since all docs in it are one revision
deep.  We never replicate to or from it.  The only reason we deem History the culprit is because
after rebuilding it, there hasn't been a crash for over 12 hours.

off entirely, or would redirecting to dev/null suffice?  When couch would crash, hundreds
of MB of crap would get dumped to the log. ( {{badmatch,{ok,<<32,50,48,48,10 … 'hundreds
of MB of crap' … ,0,3,232>>}}).  Right when this dump occurred, the cpu spiked and
the server began its downward descent.

having.  I'm on v1.2, ubuntu 11.04.

Generic server <0.492.0> terminating

src was `pread_iolist` function is used when reading anything from the disk.  So I think this
might be a corrupt db problem.