From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couchbase Mobile to CouchDB on AWS - Looking for instance sizing advice.
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:43:08 GMT

I'd love to hear if IrisCouch is slower an a micro EC2 instance, I'd be astonished. Using
a micro for anything serious, like a production database, is "penny wise, pound foolish" imo.

B.

On 2 Jul 2012, at 18:28, Douglas Turner wrote:

> Hello
> Let's see if I can articulate this sufficiently.
>
> Some background: I am a one person shop, I wear all the hats and I have been learning
everything as I go for the last 18-20 months, so I am still a bit of a noob.

> I have an iOS app created in Titanium using Pegli's ti_couchbase module. If the user
wants to enable syncing, they enter their requested GroupName, Password, eMail address.  The
app reaches out to a php document that uses php-on-couchdb to check if the GroupName (database
name) is available, if it is, that database is created with the proper authorization/password.
This all works great and I am very pleased with it.

> I am currently running everything into IrisCouch. I am considering changing over to AWS
as IrisCouch seems a bit slow, plus last week they were down all morning one day. I have everything
up and running on an AWS micro instance. (Couchdb 1.2). In fact I have two instances, Couch
A and Couch B. Couch B is my backup server and has a cron job running a script to continuously
replicate everything on A to B.

> The current version of my app has about 3k users. If history is an indicator, when this
syncing version is released, I expect about 250 users (world wide) per day to update to the
sync version. I expect 80% will enable syncing. The numbers I am anticipating are 200 people
per day creating a database initially syncing 300-600 documents (2-4Meg per db). The Couchdb
server is for replication only.

> After the initial updates I anticipate an average of 15 users per day growth, databases
created with less than 20 docs to start.