From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Size
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:56:28 GMT
Well I believe the attachments are in the same database file as the
documents. So a huge amount of large attachments may causes some
performance loss just due to the I/O and seeking. CouchDB doesn't cache
anything itself and relies on the filesystem so it's performance can be IO
bound.

As to if the CouchDB could handle the data, I would assume yes. If you are
concerned about all the image data slowing it down you could use the
documents in CouchDB to maintain metadata and a relative path to the image
file and maintain the attachments on the filesystem manually with some
middleware code and a static file server (nginx or something).

I personally don't have any experience using CouchDB with a lot of
attachment data or really a huge amount of data. It's be a great database
for my fun projects though.

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ - Ludwig von
Wittgenstein

"Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is
rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding
will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is
soft is strong." - Lao-Tzu